Sunday, November 7, 2010

Thanksgiving


These days Christmas celebrations seem to begin earlier and earlier every year. I am not complaining about that because I do love Christmas but I worry that my own children as they grow up, will not see the importance in the Holiday that comes right after Halloween.....Thanksgiving. I saw Santa in the mall yesterday. Kids were getting pictures taken with him. Some people might have been completely offended. I on the other hand was more just shrugging my shoulders and thinking, well I guess it just gives kids more time to ask Santa for what they want. I guess that was my way of rationalizing it. Because of that though, it made me decide to do my best to teach my kids about Thanksgiving as well as help them realize that while Christmas is very important, it is not just about Santa, presents and decorating. One of Kignston's favorite movies is called "Mickey's Once Upon A Christmas". It teaches the true meaning of Christmas. One line says, "Christmas is not about candy canes, Christmas trees, or lights all a glow, it's about sharing, caring, and family." For those who are religious, it is also about celebrating the birth of Jesus. I love to decorate for Christmas and participate in all the fun and traditions but I will always wait until we have celebrated Thanksgiving. There are those who do like to start their Christmas celebrating right after Halloween through December and I have no problems with that. I am always one to keep an open mind and I would love to hear how you all celebrate these three holidays-Halloween, Thanksgiving, and Christmas. This year I will be starting a new tradition. The day after Halloween, I will teach Kingston about Thanksgiving and each day he will write or say something he is thankful for. I will probably also include some type of craft or baking to make it fun for him and Kenna too once she is old enough to understand. With that, I want to share my thanks for the wonderful family I have. Family is what is most important to me. Happy Holidays!

1 comment:

Talia said...

It's easy to get caught up in the excitement of Christmas and leave Thanksgiving in it's shadow. For me the holidays start on my birthday, October 25th. We celebrate that, then Halloween, Thanksgiving, Christmas, the new year, Micah's birthday, then Brycen's birthday. From Oct. 25th-January 13th we will be going non stop on the celebrating, and I love it. Each deserves it's own amount of celebrating, but I will admit, the snow we got recently makes me want to put my Christmas decor out. This time of the year is so glorious!